ASHA requires speech-language pathologists, performing Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing procedures, to undergo sufficient training to demonstrate the knowledge and skills needed to perform and interpret this invasive procedure. Each clinician is ethically responsible for achieving the appropriate level of training to provide these services competently.
SEC Medical offers a FEES four to six day clinical competency onsite training program.The program includes the following:
* Understanding of normal and abnormal aerodigestive physiology for respiration,
airway protection, and swallow.
* Recognize anatomical landmarks as viewed endoscopically.
* Recognize altered anatomy as it relates to swallowing function.
* Recognize changes in anatomy and physiology of the swallow over the life span.
* Identify the indications and contraindications for an endoscopic exam.
* Identify the elements of a comprehensive endoscopic swallowing exam.
* Detect and interpret abnormal findings in terms of the underlying anatomy.
* Treatment interventions, alter the bolus or method of delivery to determine the
effect of the swallow.
* Anticipated 25 combined normal and abnormal endoscopy passes.
* Passes are conducted with patients in your facility.
* Write, interpret and document findings in a written report.
* Operate, maintain, and disinfect the equipment required for the FEES procedure.
* How to apply anesthetic when clinically appropriate and permitted by the licensing
regulations of individual states.
For further clinical information contact:
Kathy Defalco Fitzgerald, M.S. CCC-SLP: (508) 971-5031 or Office: 339-309-9508
Contact ASHA.org for the Scope of Practice in Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation for Swallowing
LOOKING TO COMPLETE YOUR FEES CLINICAL COMPETENCIES. WE WILL BE SCHEDULING A SPRING COURSE. CLICK ON THE "CONTACT US" BOX BELOW, AND WE WILL CONTACT YOU IMMEDIATELY.
LOCATION AND DATE TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON.
OR CONTACT US AT 339-309-9508.